Monday, April 29, 2013

April 29th

April 29th -- Nehemiah 2 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Nehemiah%202&version=NLT)

Nehemiah goes to Jerusalem ; Nehemiah inspects Jerusalem's wall

*Again, we've skipped quite some time since yesterday's passage. Also, we're now reading from Nehemiah, which is written in first-person, so self-reflective words are in reference to Nehemiah.

In the twelth year of King Artaxerxes' reign I was serving him wine, but had never looked sad in his presence before so he asked me what was wrong. I was scared, but I answered saying "Long live the king" then explained that of course I was sad - my ancestors' city is in ruins. The king asked me how he could help. I said that he could send me with servants to help rebuild the city. After hearing how long I would be gone and when I would return, the king agreed. I also asked, then, for letters to governors so I would have safe passage, as well as a letter for Asaph, manager of the king's forest, so I could get lumber. The king granted me these because of God. Upon reaching governors, I gave them the letters. The king had also sent with me army officers and horsemen for protection. The Ammonite official, though, was displeased when he heard someone had come to help Israel's people.

I arrived in Jerusalem, and three days later I went out in the night with only a few others. I hadn't shared the plans God had put in my heart for Jerusalem. We took only one donkey, which I rode. After dark, I went out to inspect the broken walls and gates. I went to the Fountain Gate and the King's Pool, but my donkey couldn't make it through the rubble, so I instead went up the Kidron valley and inspected the wall before returning. The city officials did not know about this. I hadn't spoken to anyone in administration, yet. Now, though, I approached them and explained that we were in danger as Jerusalem is in ruins, so we needed to rebuild the wall! I also told them about everything with the king and how gracious God had been towards me. They all then agreed that we should rebuild the wall, and began the good work. When the Ammonite officials heard our plans, though, they scoffed, asking if we were rebelling against the king. I told them that God would help us rebuild his city, because we are His servants, and they have no claim to Jerusalem.


When we are working for God, He shows us favor. He does not care what earthly obstacles may stand in the way, as He will move them out of the way if it is in His will. He called Nehemiah to rebuild Jerusalem. Nehemiah approached the king, risking death, and asked if he could do this. Not only did he ask permission, but also for letters and to be able to take lumber from his forest. He could have been killed on the spot, but he trusted God, because He knew God had put that on his heart. We need to be like that. We have to understand that yes, sometimes, we're reluctant to do what we know God wants us to, but when we do, He will be with us. He will move the obstacles - a king and lack of materials or way to visit, in Nehemiah's case - out of our way so we can proceed forward in His name for His good purpose and His glory. You may look at something and be disheartened, because you feel it's impossible, just like Nehemiah was disheartened over the city of his ancestors being in ruins, but like God moved those barriers for Nehemiah, He will for us too. Nothing is impossible for Him, so why would He let an obstacle we can't overcome on our own stand in the way of us bringing Him glory? He won't. Also, why would he assign us a task/job/calling if we can't accomplish it no matter what? He won't, because He has a plan for us, and it's one we need to do for Him, and that only we can do, so He wants to make sure we can. God never leaves us to overcome problems when the problems are only keeping us from bringing him glory. He will instead come alongside us and help us over, or simply remove that problem entirely. We are always in His favor and under His blessing when we are walking His path for His purpose. Never give up on that - have faith He is with you always.

Well, that's all! God bless! Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment