Thursday, July 18, 2013

July 18th

July 18th -- John 6:22-40 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%206:22-40&version=NLT)

Please go and read the passage!

Greed can really drive us, sometimes, and never for good. It often leads to our own destruction. Yet, we do so often seek it. These people came looking for Jesus for food (after he fed the 5,000). Jesus told them he was all they needed. Now, he compares himself to bread. However, I think this can almost be expanded on. The people came looking for bread, and Jesus said he was bread. In a way, I think Jesus is basically saying he is and offers all we are looking for. If we seek peace, he offers us God's peace. If we seek comfort, he offers us the comfort of God. If we seek love, he offers us love itself, being God. Basically, do not seek that which comes of God, being all of creation, but seek God Himself. By seeking God we will have all we could ever possibly need and more.

Also, there are many thoughts on predestination, predetermination, free will, etc. I admit those all came to mind when I read the part that says "those the Father has given me" and later again, after talking about God, says "all those he has given me". I really don't fully know where I stand on the whole matter, but I will admit that those phrases suggest something along the lines of predestination. However, I think it's also important to recognize that we have free will, and also that God stands outside of time. Since Jesus was fully man and fully God, he could really have been speaking as is from when we see as the future, referring to those that had chosen to come to God. However, he coud also have been speaking in, by our standards, his present tense and referring to those that had been predetermined and chosen to come to God. I really don't know, but I find it interesting to think on. I think really only God knows the answer in the end.

Well, that will be all! God bless! Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment