Friday, January 18, 2013

January 18th

January 18th -- Genesis 28:10-22 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%2028:10-22&version=NLT)

This is about Jacob's dream at Bethel.

Honestly, sorry, but I don't have much to say about this.
Jacob went to sleep and had a dream, and in it, God came and offered him that same covenant that he had offered to Abraham and Isaac before him.
When Jacob wakes up, it's kind of big moment of realization when it hits him that God's real!
So he goes ahead and makes basically an altar to God there.
My study Bible has an interesting note on verses 20-22 in regards to as if Jacob is trying to bargain with God, as that is kind of what it seems like. However apparently it could also be argued that he was merely saying that since God blessed him, he will follow Him. It's an interesting thought, really...
Also, I have no idea if this is way off, but it makes me wonder if this is where the concept of tithing comes from... as I don't think I've heard it anywhere before now in the Bible....

Sorry again for it being so short - it was a short passage and I can't think of much to say on it....
God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment