Thursday, January 3, 2013

January 3rd

January 3rd: -- Genesis 4:1-16 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%204:1-16&version=NLT)

This passage is the brief story of Cain and Abel. I am pretty sure any Christian has likely heard this story many times before - Cain kills his brother because he is jealous since God would except his brother's offering but not his.

I noticed, while reading it, that it says "the Lord accepted Abel and his gift...". I find it interesting that God did not merely accept the gift, but He apparently also accepted Abel. I had never before noticed the significance of that - not just the gift, but the giver as well was accepted. That means that not only Cain's gift, but Cain himself was rejected - that made the fact he became so upset as to kill his brother make a bit more sense to me.

I also noticed that it does not say outright what it was that Cain did wrong to cause himself and his gift to be rejected. I think we all tend to assume that it was because Abel brought his best of his livelyhood while Cain did not. However, I does not say anywhere that that was it at all. It almost makes me wonder if Cain and his gift were rejected because God knew Cain was going to kill his brother. Just a thought I had...

Now, something else that I really found interesting was that God did not punish Cain for whatever he had done in order to be rejected. He instead asks why he is upset, and then WARNS him, saying that if he does not do right, he will be allowing sin to control him. It's almost as if God is, in a way, warning Cain that if he does not fix what he has done wrong and overcome/take control of his anger, he will do something awful - such as kill his brother.

When God tells Cain of his punishment - to be a homeless wanderer - Cain says in verse 13 "My punishment is too great for me to bear!" When I read that, I really didn't see how that made any sense, as Cain should have known he would be punished for what he had done. Then, I noticed that  in my bible, there is a note at the bottom that says it can also say "My sin is to great for me too bear!" I personally think that that makes more sense, as it is more like Cain crying out in anguish as upon being punished, he realized the wrong he had done.

Cain fears that he will be killed - the Lord assures him that He will terribly punish any person if they do. I find that interesting. I think that maybe it has to do with the fact that firstly, if Cain were to be killed, he would not truly be punished as he would not be wandering for so long. However, I mostly think it is because God is greatly upset by murder. One murder had already occured - Cain had murdered Abel - and in protecting Cain from being murdered, it would hopefully prevent another.

Also, interesting little thing I noticed in my Bible - verse 16 says Cain settled in the land of Nod. "Nod" actually means wandering. The wanderer settled in the land of wandering... just thought that was sort of neat.

That's all for today!
     God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment