Tuesday, January 8, 2013

January 8th

January 8th -- Genesis 11:1-9 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%2011:1-9&version=NLT)

Today's passage is about the Tower of Babel. :D

I think we all know this basic story - the people tried to build a tower to the sky but God did not want them to, so He caused them to all start suddenly speaking different languages which caused them to split off and scatter in smaller groups of those who spoke the same language.

I don't know why, but I really have always just found this story SO cool. I mean, I doubt I'd be so thrilled if it happened to me, but I love picturing it in my head: All these people building, when suddenly they can't understand eachother. I'd LOVE to have seen the looks on their faces when they heard the "strange noises" their friends suddenly began to make.

The one thing I don't fully understand, though, is why God was so opposed to them building a tower to the sky (or trying to at least). I guess I can understand it as they wanted it to become famous, basically, because that is typically a great way to cause pride to grow, and I hope I don't need to explain why pride isn't a great trait to have an abundant amount of.
It seems God was almost more opposed to their being united.... but I don't fully understand why that is. It would have been so much easier to spread and share the gospel if everyone had kept only one language.

Also, does anyone else ever wonder if maybe the Tower of Babel was how, like, all base languages (for lack of a better thing to call them) came about? If they just originated there and that's why there's really no explanation for why certain words mean certain things because we can see no connection? (I can't be the only one who wonders that can I... ? )

Also, neat fact, Babel is actually a word that sounds like a Hebrew term that means "confusion". :D I find that cool. :D

That's all for today! I'll return tomorrow to talk about Abram/Abraham. :)

God bless you!

2 comments:

  1. When the people were building the tower, they were building it for themselves. They weren't building this magnificent building for their God, but instead to show others that they are better and basically show off (I agree on the pride part). God punished their ways by confusing their languages and separating them. I agree it would be easier to spread God's word if we all spoke the same language, but God said that men could do anything, and men (people) are generally stupid and only think for themselves. Who knows what we might have done to separate ourselves from God further without his actions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they wanted the Bible-times version of fame.
    Well, I guess I wonder more so as to why He stopped them that way, as opposed to sending an angel to keep them from going higher, or at least a warning that something would happen if they didn't stop. Then maybe they wouldn't have had to start speaking different languages and it could have been/could now be that much easier to spread God's word.

    Though I do agree humans on a general basis more commonly follow our sinly nature as opposed to what we know to be right, even if it's just within thoughts and not so much actions.

    ReplyDelete